Our school aims to be a school where reading for enjoyment is promoted and children are encouraged to develop a love of reading and become lifetime readers.
At Bowburn Infant & Nursery School we believe that by promoting reading we will have a positive impact on children and their future.
We believe the encouragement of reading for enjoyment in our school will:
- Have a positive impact on attainment in reading and writing.
- Improve the children’s use and understanding of vocabulary.
- Encourage a passion for reading in later life.
- Improve a child’s self-confidence in reading and encourage them to see themselves as readers.
We aim to promote reading for enjoyment by:
- Having dedicated space in classrooms to promote and encourage reading.
- Providing the children with a range of high quality literature (including poetry, play scripts, comics etc) to access both at home and at school.
- Celebrating events such as; World Book Day, National Children’s book week.
- Bringing stories alive by working with local theatre companies and visiting Seven Stories and local theatres.
- Providing children with the opportunities to learn about famous authors and their work.
- Provide stimulating high quality displays where literature and reading is promoted.
- Providing the children with an opportunity to visit the local library.
- Using ICT to promote an interest in authors, stories and reading (story phones, bug club).
All teachers are responsible for identifying resources to promote an enjoyment for reading and to present their requests to the Literacy subject leader or a member of the SMT.
We regularly review the resources available to the children to ensure they are in good condition, up-to-date and relevant to our children’s needs.